Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Amtrak Angel


Oregon Spring
View out an Amtrak Window
June 2011

Deuteronomy 7:9 NIV
"Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."

The frail, elderly woman sat beside me on the Amtrak car as we headed north to Portland, Oregon.  Her hands gingerly held the cell phone she used to read text messages from her family who checked on her throughout her journey.

I wanted to mind my own business and not get pulled into a discussion with her as I had a long trip ahead of me and miles to go before I could sleep, to borrow a line from Robert Frost.

I had hopes of napping on the train; I didn't want to be someone's caretaker.

Before long, she turned to me, opened her phone, and showed me a photo of a drawing her grand-daughter had sketched of the Sacred Heart and texted to her. She also beamed as she told me about her grandson's high school graduation, which was where she was headed.

"My husband and I had both planned to attend his graduation," she told me softly. Her eyes dimmed as she continued, "But he had a stroke and is unable to make the trip. One of us should be there for our grandson."

I felt guilty for trying to remove myself from conversation with her. Eventually, I understood she had been on the train since California, and she walked with a cane.
She was on the upper level of the train and was scared to go down the stairs to the bathroom. I offered to help her down the stairs, but she refused.

"Call for help if I don't come back," she quipped.

She made it back to her seat and then disembarked a few stops later to the waiting arms of her family.

It has been almost a week now, yet I find myself wondering how she's doing. Ironically, someone I wanted to avoid is now in my mind. 

While I will never meet her grandchildren, I know how proud she is of them.  Her trip on the train was fraught with difficulties, yet she faced those out of love for her family.

God is love and fills our hearts with love. I can always tell where God is because that is the person whose heart brims over with love for others and for Him. 

I'm thankful He seated me next to this woman, so I could be reminded to keep my heart open to meeting and helping strangers no matter how tired or self-centered I feel at the moment.
----------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for reminding me there are angels among us, no matter where we are.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you; I really enjoy both writing and photography. You have a wonderful blog; I've read through quite a bit of it!

    --Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I live about 30 miles north of Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Joy!

    Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you like my blog. I had guessed you were around Atlanta when I saw the Krispy Kreme photo. :)

    Also--I sure would like to get to Helen sometime. I have heard it's beautiful.

    I'm glad to have a cyberfriend like you.

    Lori :)

    ReplyDelete