Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Return Home

A Road Home

John 14:2 KJV
"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."

In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy proclaims: "There's no place like home!" Tomorrow, our exchange student, Teo, returns home to her family in the Republic of Georgia.

While her return is a joyous occasion for her parents, she is torn between two worlds. The past couple weeks she has tearfully said goodbye to many friends she made here in Brunswick, but she is also excited to return to her family.

I currently have a friend in the care of hospice. He's in a similar position as Teo. He's torn between two worlds. Although he is with his family and surrounded by their love, his heavenly home awaits him.  As painful as it is to watch him slip away from us, it's comforting to know where he's going.

Homecomings are bittersweet. The ones greeting the individual are joyous and celebrate the return of the traveler. The ones left behind, mourn the loss of their friend's presence in their lives.

This past week has been filled with a flurry of activities as we have helped Teo pack and prepare for her trip home. Time flew by us, and now today is her last day in our household.  It seems like only yesterday when she arrived; however, it has been nine months since she entered our lives.

Tomorrow, after we check her luggage at the airport, there will be a moment when we will wish her well and send her on her way home.  We will all fight back tears.  But like my friend in hospice, she is returning to the love of family and friends who have anticipated this moment since they first sent her on her great adventure.

Both Teo and my friend will soon arrive in their native countries. When they see the loving arms of those who greet them, they might be tempted to voice the famous line, "There's no place like home!"
-------------------------------
Dear Lord, give safe passage to Teo and to my dear friend who will soon be with you.

2 comments:

  1. I was re-reading the June 2011 Guideposts earlier today and saw your story. I had read it when the Guideposts first came, but I didn't know who you were then. Now I do! :-) The story about Dawn is so neat. I enjoyed reading it over again.
    --Joy Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy. :) Dawn taught me an important lesson as a new teacher. You see--students have an impact on us teachers; it's not just a one-way street in the classroom.

    Hope you are well. We drove past a wildfire tonight that was 50 yards off I-95 in Camden County. The police closed the interstate for 12 miles both north and southbound for about an hour. We have rain right now. Hope it helps the firemen.

    Take care, Friend.
    Lori :)

    ReplyDelete