Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rocks, Stories, Music, and B Movies

Dad and I Take a Break from Throwing Rocks
Circa 1962

Ephesians 6: 2-3 NIV
"Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise--"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

My dad passed away in 1992, so I have been without him for nineteen years. For some reason, I miss him more this Father's Day than I have in a long time.

The lessons dad taught me when he was alive have given me much to smile about as I've plodded through life.

He showed me how to enjoy life, and he demonstrated his love of God by giving his talents to the Lord when called upon.

Some of my earliest memories of dad are our walks together when I was young.  We lived in a developing neighborhood, so there were always loose rocks around as the builders constructed homes. Dad and I threw the rocks at aimless targets as soon as I was old enough to take a pebble and toss it. 

This was a fine pastime until a young Lori threw a rock one day from her front yard at a passing car. The rock entered the car through the open passenger's window. The driver screeched to a halt, got out of his car, and raced toward me with steam emitting from his ears. I hollered for help, and dad sprinted out of the house to keep me safe from the man.

Maybe a better example of a lesson I learned from dad was his ability to tell stories.  He wove bedtime stories together for my brother, sister and me.  We were his best audience. Today, when I write my stories, I imagine he is with me, encouraging me.

Throwing rocks and storytelling are two of many lessons I learned from dad.

He also gave me an appreciation of music and scared me silly as we watched B movies together like Vincent Price's The House of Wax.

And he loved me. He took me to the movies, he taught me how to play the piano, he cooked delicious Sunday dinners, and he helped me get employment when I was older.  He took his time and energy to support me in many of my activities as I grew up.

He was human, so he had his flaws, but there was no doubt he loved his family.

At times I think he is still here with me. I don't know what the rules are for guardian angels, but I feel his presence near by.

I expect, when I see him again, he'll meet me with a rock at the Pearly Gates and tell me to throw it as hard as I can. I wonder if there are glass houses in heaven?
-----------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for the memories I have of my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment