Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Smoke and Ash Over the Golden Isles from Okefenokee Wildfires
13 May 2011

Job 33:9 NIV
"I am pure and without sin; I am clean and free from guilt."

Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa. kakakakakaka KABOOM! Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa. kakakakakaka KABOOM! thip-uh-thip-uh-thip-uh-thip-uh. kakakakakaka KABOOM!

Two sounds surround me right now as I relax on this Saturday afternoon. The rhythmic cycle of the clothes washer and the welcome sounds of crackling thunder from afar.

The Honey Prairie Fire in the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge started April 28, and as of today, over 125,000 acres have been destroyed in Georgia and Florida.  The fire has consumed more than a quarter of the wildlife refuge.

The shifting winds brought smoke and ash northward to Glynn County last night casting an ominous grayness over our region. 

The strong odor of burning woods met our nostrils as we got out of the car to walk into the house. My asthma has flared up as smoke and ash have robbed the area of fresh air.  We need rain to help the firefighters who are battling to extinguish the fire.

Last night, as we ate out, I overheard a man tell his companion he was going to do a rain dance this weekend. I'm not sure if he did, but rain arrived today. I don't know if it's enough for the fire, but it's helping our yard. We have had soaking rains all morning and afternoon

God's cooling rain has cleared the air. Flowers and plants have taken on a new look of freshness. It's as if the world around me has been tossed in a washer and put in the spin cycle. I didn't realize how much the smoke and ash had coated everything until they were washed new today.

I suppose my life is like this to God. I don't see the smoky stains of my sins which have accumulated over time until He washes me clean of them. Then He can recognize me again.

Nothing like a good talk with God to wash me free of the grime of life.
------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for washing my life free of sin so the beauty of my soul can shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment