Sunday, May 8, 2011

Gonna Dance, Gonna Fly

 
Gator Ka-Bobs
(Tastes Like Chicken) 
1 May 2011

Matthew 17:20 NIV
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."


As I chatted with a friend at church today, she discussed her philosophy of life. It is formed partly from a Frank Sinatra song titled, "I'm Gonna Live Till I Die." (Follow the link to hear the song if you want.)

She explained how many years ago as she faced breast cancer surgery, she wasn't fearful because she knew where she would go if she died. When she woke up in the recovery room, she was singing out loud these lyrics from the Sinatra song:

"Gonna dance gonna fly
I'll take my chance riding high
Before my number's up I'm gonna fill my cup
I'm gonna live, live, live, live until I die."


The recovery room nurse looked at her husband and asked, "Is she always like this?" 

He smiled and replied, "Yes. Like this and so much more."

She faces a new medical concern now, and once again, she sings her refrain:

"Gonna dance gonna fly
I'll take my chance riding high
Before my number's up I'm gonna fill my cup
I'm gonna live, live, live, live until I die."


Her current doctor, who is deeply concerned about her, asked why she is so laid back about her condition. My friend, replied, "I don't worry. I know where I'm going when I die, and until them, I'm going to fill my cup."

Furthermore, she has seen miraculous healing take place in her life. She knows God is capable of extending her life beyond the number of years the doctor has predicted for her.


After our talk, I walked away feeling happy. At first, I was sad because she has such a serious illness, but today, when I came home, I listened to her theme song, and now, I feel encouraged by her faith.

All day long, I have been filling up my cup. I've been metaphorically dancing while enjoying those around me. (I think of the cartoon character, Snoopy, as he always dances when he is happy.)

Life is too short to squander time. I need to be mindful of God, help others, and not forget to enjoy life along the way no matter what circumstances befall me.   
--------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for friends with a strong faith in difficult times who encourage and inspire me to lead a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment