Monday, May 2, 2011

A Rewrite for Mercy's Sake

He Doesn't Have to Take the Georgia State Writing Test
Gator: Satilla River
Woodbine, Georgia
30 April 2011


Zechariah 7:9 NIV
"This is what the Lord Almighty says: Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another."

My sophomore sat beside my desk with his head lowered, looking at his shoes today as we discussed the status of his last essay. He had failed miserably on a diagnostic test.

I'm inclined to recommend he take a remedial writing course in the fall before his state writing test in September. I believe it's to his advantage to focus on decoding writing topics and learning how to better support his ideas since he hasn't demonstrated mastery on writing tests to me yet.

He, on the other hand, begged for one more chance to dazzle me. He pleaded for one more opportunity to pass with flying colors. He told me he understands what I'm looking for in an essay, and he wants to prove he can produce it.

I looked at him skeptically. "I don't know," I mused. "The class in August and September will give you a chance to hear this material from another teacher. You'll be able to practice before the state test.  This is your diploma we're talking about."

"Please, Ms. Durham. Please let me try again.  I know I can write better than this."

I absent-mindedly thumbed through his essay and thought about graduate school when life hit me with one problem after another. I pleaded with my professors for extra time on my work. They allowed me to carry Incompletes into the next semester due to my personal problems. They listened to me and treated me humanely. I've always respected them for their kindness and caring when I needed the most help.

How can I not help my students when they struggle? 

I always help them up until the last hour.  It's in my nature, and I know many other teachers do the same.

I looked at the boy and sighed. He had worn me down by his soft pleas for a second chance. We made arrangements for him to retake the test with the understanding that should he fail a second time, I was going to place him in the remedial class for his benefit.

I know God has been merciful and compassionate toward me in life, and I try to pass along the same to my students.

Today and everyday, as I work with students, I treat them as compassionately and reasonably as I can. I think back to how other teachers have treated me, and I think about how God would want me to treat my students.

Goodness knows I have begged God plenty of times for a second chance to make up for a stupid mistake. My boy in class is not the first to have failed a test. I have failed my fair share before him.

He needs to stand in line behind his teacher.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for the mercy you give me each day. Let me share it with others.

2 comments:

  1. Not all teachers would have done what you did for this young man. I think we all deserve 2nd chances in our lifes as we are all human.

    Just curious are all the pictures yours as I have them very fitting for your stories at time.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Candy! Nice to hear from you. :)

    Yeah--the photos are mine, except I used one of a friend's rainbow before for a blog and credited her for it.

    Allie and Russell have taken some, and I haven't credited them... too bad--I gave birth to them, so I should be able to use their photos if I want. :)

    I try to match as best I can the themes with the photos, but it's not always as easy as I'd like. It'd be so easy to go "steal" an image off Google, but I don't want to violate copyright, especially since I should be a role model for my students.

    Thanks for the compliment. I agree. If the end result of education is to be educated, then how many chances a student gets to learn the subject matter shouldn't count. Learning the topic is most important.

    Of course--as you recall--we weren't given that opportunity in some of our classes, were we? Ugh!!!!! RB-Squared killed me on tests!

    Of course, had I done well in her math class, I would not have become an English teacher, so there is the hidden blessing.

    Hugs to you--Lori :)

    ReplyDelete