Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hope in the Hospital

 In the Fog of Ignorance and the Forest of Fears, God's Rainbow Offers Hope
20 May 2011

Matthew 4:23 NIV
"Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people."

A curly-haired blonde with sky blue eyes waddled by us this morning. She babbled to us as John, Russell, Allison and I sat in stiff-backed chairs in a freezing, surgical waiting room. She was dressed only in socks, a diaper, and a traditional hospital gown that opened in the back.

We smiled, said "hi" to her, and waved. She sauntered toward her parents, who were leaning forward on the edge of their seats, but she kept her head turned so her gaze fixed on us. She probably had the same question on her mind that I had on mine, "What are you doing here?"

Allison is 14, which is in the upper age bracket of being treated at Wolfson's Children's Hospital, but it's a blessing because this is one of the best hospitals in our area for children.  We don't have answers yet about her condition.

The doctor performed an endoscopy and took some tissue samples for a biopsy, so we'll know more in a week's time when results are back.

As we waited for her procedure to end, a family next to us received wonderful news. As the doctor spoke to them, they began to cry uncontrollably and praise Jesus' name. I resisted my temptation to congratulate them on their news. I wanted to ask, "Why are you here?" but some questions are too forward and personal.

However, I believe those stories are the ones that inspire others facing a similar battle.

When Allison woke up in the recovery room, the little blonde was lying near her. I'm sure her parents also shed a tear or two of relief and joy when she returned to them.    

God is faithful in all areas of life. I'm constantly reminded of this fact.

When I spotted the rainbow in the fog as the sharp morning rays of the sun cut through the pines last week, I knew God was with me. He spoke to me more directly later that morning.

God walks with us and sits with us and holds us up when we think we can't walk another wavering step. I can't think of a place where this is better demonstrated than in a hospital.

I spent most of this morning talking to Him, not just about Allison, but also for other children and their families whom I encountered because, as concerned as I am about her, what I witnessed in others alarmed me.

Thank God for doctors who fight medical conditions so children can have hope to lead more normal lives.
-------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for walking the halls of hospitals and holding hands with the patients. Thank you for supporting and lifting up their families and friends through the tough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment