Monday, April 25, 2011

My Olympic Marathon


My Pride and Joy
April 2011

Psalm 108:4 NIV
"For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies."

The 1996 Atlanta Olympics was marked by tragedy after a bomb exploded in Centennial Park.

John, Russell, my brother, Rob, and his wife, Jeannie, and I arrived the day after the explosion. Security was tight and slowed us down as we tried to enter the venues. We were disappointed we would be unable to enjoy Centennial Park, but despite the drama of the aftermath of the tragedy, we enjoyed the sporting events we witnessed.

Surprisingly, I had an additional event on my list of venues I had not planned for. Once we arrived in Atlanta, I discovered I was enrolled in the port-a-potty marathon. Every port-a-potty in town became my personal destination. I also added public bathrooms to the list. As my family searched for  stadiums and arenas, I hunted bathrooms.

John guarded many port-a-potty doors for me as I dashed into at least a hundred of them.  I missed most of the events we came to see because I searched for the bathrooms while the competition took place. 

When we returned to Brunswick that night, I talked to my mom, a retired registered nurse, about my problem in Atlanta. She said it sounded like a kidney infection and advised me to seek medical attention.

John and I went to the local walk-in clinic the next day and saw a doctor who talked to me at length. He was not convinced I had a bladder or kidney infection. In fact, he suspected I was pregnant.

I looked at John, who looked at me. We both laughed. I was 36 years old. We'd been married five years, and at this point, people had stopped asking us when we were going to have children.

No, we told the doctor. There's no way I'm pregnant. Not a chance. Impossible.

Still, the doctor said, he wanted to draw blood to be sure and then the office would call me at home to let me know.

Tonight, the kidney infection named Allison is cooking her first meal on her own. She is 14 years old and the joy of our lives.

God showed us what we thought was impossible is truly possible with His vast and mighty love.
------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Lord for sending us Allison, who you knew we needed even before we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment