Monday, April 18, 2011

Beautiful Successes

A Life of Integrity is like a Spring Blossom

Proverbs 10:9 NIV
"The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out."

I studied the college application and considered the question posed before me: "Describe this candidate in one word."

I paused. Smiled. Easy answer.

I remembered a year ago when she first entered my American literature classroom. She had an engaging smile and pleasant demeanor. She confidently carried herself with graceful poise as she found the desk I had selected for her along the side wall.

She was quietly thoughtful and reflective. As I worked with her during the semester, I discovered her compassionate heart and concern for her fellow classmates.

She also expressed concern for me. She always smiled and asked how my day had been.

She turned her work in on time, her grades were fine, she was not a discipline concern, and her personal conduct was impeccable. If she said she were going to do something, she did it.

She began to stop by to visit me before and after school to talk. She made sure I was all right. She talked about her classwork and other activities she was involved in.

She continued to stop by to see me throughout her senior year. She excelled in her classes. She looked more mature as the year progressed. She was no longer on the brink of beginning her new life, she was actively seeking it.

She approached me this month for the recommendation letters for three colleges. I was honored to write them. She will succeed at any school which accepts her.

I knew the word to describe this beautiful young woman I have watched blossom over the last two years. However, it's a word I rarely use with teenagers.

I took pen to paper and wrote:  INTEGRITY.

The integrity of a person's life shines brightly. Her family raised her with strong religious and moral values, and because she lives these, she stands out among her peers.

As long as she holds onto her life of integrity, doors will open for her as people take notice of her.

I wasn't surprised when she told me less than a week after she sent off her papers, she was offered a scholarship for the college she wanted to attend.

God blesses those whose lives are full of integrity.
-----------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for letting me be a part of this young woman's life as well as the countless others whom I have taught through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment