Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Promise of the Bulb

My tree may look dead, but it is overflowing with hope and promise.
December 25, 2011

Romans 15:13 NIV
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Last week I glanced at my Bradford pear tree as I walked past it to the mail box. Most of the branches are barren, yet a good number of stubborn leaves are holding on in spite of the lateness of the season.

I noticed several dead leaves littering the ground. However, as my gaze rose, I was surprised to see the branches weren't barren after all.  Sturdy bulbs dotted the limbs where leaves had flown away. The promise of new life hung on every branch.

Then I remembered a hymn I love.

"In the Bulb there is a Flower" proclaims the hope and promise of  life in apparent death. Where I see emptiness or inactivity, life takes place. When I feel lost or abandoned, newness awaits me.  God alone sees the potential and the beauty of my life yet to unfold.

Allison told me tonight she has a feeling 2012 is going to be a great year. Like her, I am hopeful the new year will be better than the last. 

However, whatever may befall, I trust God will see the beauty in both my triumphs and disasters and lead me through all life's seasons.
-----------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, Thank you for the promise of life after death.
-----------------------------------------------
             "In the Bulb there is a Flower"

In the bulb there is a flower; in the seed, an apple tree;
In cocoons, a hidden promise: butterflies will soon be free!
In the cold and snow of winter there’s a spring that waits to be,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

There’s a song in every silence, seeking word and melody;
There’s a dawn in every darkness, bringing hope to you and me.
From the past will come the future; what it holds, a mystery,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

In our end is our beginning; in our time, infinity;
In our doubt there is believing; in our life, eternity,
In our death, a resurrection; at the last, a victory,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment