Sunday, October 9, 2011

NJOY 2DY


Enjoying the Day. Swimming with Sting Rays at the Aquarium.
July 2011
 Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Ecclesiastes 3:12 NIV
"I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live."

As I drove home from church today, I mechanically followed my husband John's 17-year old truck in front of me. "Let him decide how to get us home," I told myself, "I'm too tired to think."

Gray clouds and a light drizzle surrounded us causing my arthritic joints to ache. "I'll get home, eat some lunch, and then take a nap with Jade," I thought. Sleeping with the cat on a rainy, fall day sounded like a good plan to me on this lazy Sunday.

I glanced to my left as a car sped past me. Since childhood I have enjoyed reading license plates, and this car's plate caught my eye.  "NJOY 2DY" it proudly proclaimed as the driver roared past us.

I deciphered the message and smiled. What a nice thought to send others. I looked at the gray wetness around me as we leisurely made our way home, and I sat up a little higher in my seat. It would be so easy to let this day get away from me if I'm not careful.

Yes--I think I will accept the invitation I was given today at church to visit friends while John works on their computer. I can think of a million excuses why it would be easier to cuddle with the cat in a warm bed, but I think the opportunity to enjoy my day with friends would better suit me.
-------------------------------
Lord, thank you for the reminder that days are meant to be enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. "NJOY 2DY"--that's a neat license plate, and a meaningful message to send!

    ReplyDelete