Monday, October 10, 2011

Praying for More Sand


Segulls and Sand
Jekyll Island, Georgia 

1 Kings 4:29 NIV
"God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore."

The girl sat beside my desk and told me about her aunt, the drunk, with whom she shares the house. Her aunt has been in and out of jail. Life at home seems better when her aunt is locked up.

The boy sat beside my desk and talked about how he lost his right arm from the elbow down in an accident with a wood chipper. Thankfully, as his arm was caught, the chipper shut off and he wasn't pulled into it.

My colleague sat beside me and discussed her desire to leave teaching and find a field where she was better appreciated.

My boss sat beside me and told me how hard it has been for her daughters to accept the recent death of their grandmother.

In my 24-year career as an educator, I have learned I need to have wisdom, not just for my subject matter, but for life issues as well. God has placed me in a position where others open up to me. 

I need wisdom to assess when my students are being neglected or harmed in their home environments. I need wisdom to know what to say to inspire the hurting or lost.

I have prayed throughout my life for wisdom.  It is an indispensible gift in the education field.

It would be wonderful if I could have as much wisdom as Solomon. Thankfully, I know other wise people, and I go to them when my wisdom runs out. 

Then I sit beside them and share my story.
-------------------------------------------
Lord, let me be wise enough to seek out the wise when I am faced with problems I can not resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment