Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Aurora Borealis of Life

God's Brush Strokes Across the Morning Sky


Psalm 148:3 NIV
"Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars."

As a grad student at Eastern Kentucky University, I used to walk for hours at night with a dear friend. We circled Richmond and made our way from campus up to Shoney's restaurant on the by-pass, where we often pooled our money and shared a hot chocolate fudge cake smothered in vanilla ice cream.

As we strolled in the cool, clear nights, we discussed issues near to our hearts. I had a troubled marriage and was already in a separation period. She had a master's thesis she was piecing together.  We bounced ideas off one another as we maneuvered through the empty streets.

As much as we talked, we also walked in silence as we absorbed the vista of the heavens above us.

Our problems seemed insignificant compared to the night sky.  We particularly were drawn to Orion, the Hunter. Maybe it was the period of life we were both in, but it comforted us to see our protector above our heads.  I still look for him today and fondly remember my friend, who has now drifted out of my life.

I know it wasn't Orion who protected us on those walks; however, he is a beautiful representation of the One who did.

God set the stars in motion and also caused my life's orbit to intersect with many individuals. Some left a bright trail behind them, like a blazing meteor in August. Others dimmed and faded, leaving only a brief impression on me.

God has brought light to my life, and the night sky reflects that beauty for me. When I see the stars, I think of those who have inspired me as well as those who have left me. 

I look for the old, familiar constellations, and in their light, I see the old familiar faces of those whom I have loved throughout life.
----------------------------------------
Lord, thank you for the sun, the stars, the moon, and the planets which illuminate our lives.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture at the top of this post; it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Joy!

    Do you notice the little kneeling angel in the photo? Not everyone can see her. :) I also love this photo.

    --Lori

    ReplyDelete