Monday, October 17, 2011

Chocolate Days

A Chocolate Day Shared with Friends

 

Proverbs 27:9 NIV
"Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel."


A thought occurred to me a couple weeks ago as I was immersed in a quest for chocolate late one night. As I peered on every shelf of the pantry, moving John's potato chips out of the way, I shuddered to think that once upon a time, ordinary women did not have access to chocolate.

I finally found a forgotten chocolate snack cake deep in a corner of the shelf and relaxed as I ate it. The chocolate sent off joyous synapses of pleasure throughout my brain. How terrible to think for centuries women were denied this delicious, decadent pleasure.

I mentioned my observation to a substitute teacher at school the other day as we worked together to dislodge a stuck pack of peanut M & M's from the vending machine.  We rocked the machine (I know.... it's dangerous!) backwards. We rocked it forwards. We pounded on the front window nearly breaking it.  However, it was lodged firmly in the bowels of the machine, and we couldn't get it out.

The substitute listened as I made my observation about legions of women who had gone to the grave without chocolate, and she had the same sad look on her face as I had when I first considered it. She told me, "You know, chocolate is the only thing that helps me when I am PMS-ing. I don't think men will ever enjoy chocolate as much as I do."

Having never been a man, I can't speak for them, but I know when I am down and out, there is nothing like  the sweet taste of chocolate to lighten the load.

I was thinking this past Sunday at church I get the same pleasure listening to our choir, hearing a touching prayer, or absorbing a moving sermon or testimony, that I get from chocolate. When I close my eyes and let the music and the words sink in my soul,  I feel the synapses of my brain firing in joy.

Sundays are chocolate days for me. Joyful, spiritual, sweet and satisfying. Furthermore, like chocolate, Sunday is best when shared with friends.
-----------------------
Lord, thank you for chocolate days that increase in sweetness when shared with those we love.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by to read them, and thanks for letting me know you like them.

    Blessings!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending this message to all of my blog followers. At my mom's request, I have indefinitely privatized my blog. If you would like to keep reading, send me a request, and I will add you as a reader of my blog. Thanks! :)

    ~Joy Caroline

    ReplyDelete