Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Twenty Years Ago Today

John and Me on Vacation
March 2010


Genesis 2:24 NIV
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Twenty years ago today I married John Durham. After two years as a single parent, and having endured an ugly divorce, I decided to take a chance on love again.  A colleague at school asked, "Do you know what you're doing?"  I smiled broadly as I replied, "Yes."

Her concern went beyond a superficial curiosity. Many others in my circle of friends wondered the same thing but didn't voice the thought. It was natural on their parts as they were protective of me. After all, John and I only dated fifteen weeks from the first date to the altar.


Before that, he endured ten weeks as one of my college students, so we had ample opportunity to observe each other in an objective environment. As awkward as I thought it might be to date a former student, my nervousness abated during dinner.  When he put his arm around me during Dancing With Wolves, I knew I had "come home." I have no other words to express that comfortable feeling when I laid my head on his shoulder.

We talked at dinner tonight about our life together. It has been a grand adventure, but it hasn't seemed like twenty years. We firmly believe God meant for us to be together and feel blessed to have found each other.

We used to be the "young married couple," but by today's standards, we are the "old married couple".  Each year has flown by, and I have no reason to think the rest of our years together won't also slip past us. However, we know God continues to lead us as we walk our path together.

With God as our focus and His love to sustain us, there's no reason to fear anything the future may bring.
-------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for the blessings of twenty years with the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment