Thursday, July 28, 2011

Take My Blanket


God's Promise of Hope through the Magnolias

Proverbs 3:5 KJV
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.


"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." --Eleanor Roosevelt

At times, fear paralyzes my ability to write. I stare at the blank page before me and wonder what will come out of my life that will touch others. What would God have me share today?  Nerves wash over me, and I walk away from the page.

My classroom students have the same fears of the blank page. Rather than just writing, hoping that ideas will shape and form around their words, my students freeze and resist my entreaties to "just write what comes into your mind".  The same fears of being misunderstood or judged on the merit of what they write prevent them from working around the mental block.

God knows the unwritten future, like a blank page, looms before me. What I do today impacts tomorrow. Decisions I make can carry lifetime consequences. What if I make the wrong choice? What if I don't get "it" right? 

Fear is one force I face that causes a wall between God and me.  I must let go the worries. I have got to lean on Him through my writing and the uncertain times we live in. Yet like a child clutching her worn blanket, I am loathe to let go my fears and would rather wrap myself up inside them.

Like a shadowy figure lurking in the dark recesses of my soul, fear's only purpose is to keep me from the light of God. When the dark veil of fear is removed from my life, when I am able to face straight on those things I have feared, I discover they were nothing but fantasies of my mind. Inventions of my insecurities.

What precious time was lost in worry.
-----------------------------------------
Lord, help me lean on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment