Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cleaning out the Clutter


Jade Slept Through the Cleaning

1 Kings 10:24 NIV
"The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart."


Two bottles ketchup. Four bottles mustard. Five jars pickles: bread and butter, hamburger dills, and baby gherkins. Three bottles barbeque sauce. Four tubs butter. Four packs lunch meat. A dozen slices of American cheese plus one unopened pack. Six varieties of salad dressing. 

These are just a few of the many contents of the refrigerator I just cleaned out.

I consolidated condiments, read dates, and tossed spoiled tomatoes and last Sunday's pot roast into the trash. I placed lunch meat and cheese into ziplock baggies to keep them fresh. It took about thirty minutes to complete the task I'd dreaded for weeks.

More importantly, it also wouldn't hurt me to clean out what Jennifer Rothschild refers to as my "thought closet".  School approaches, and my summertime bliss will end on August 5th.  I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to adding school stress to my life. I have enjoyed not having to call parents, pushing their kids to perform for tests scores, or answering to administrative dictates.

So I'm currently working on my thoughts and attitude.  I'm praying for guidance as I start a new school year.  It's a big responsibilty working with young people and the many problems they bring with them to the classroom.  I need God's wisdom to help me every hour of the day.

Like my overcrowded refrigerator, I need to clean out the clutter in my own life to make room for the new experiences I will soon face.
-----------------------------------------
Lord, help me open my heart and mind to the responsibilities I will inherit in two weeks. Pour your wisdom over me this school year as I face a variety of challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment