Friday, July 29, 2011

The Boneyard

Oregon Hillside where the Bones were Located


The Bleached Ribcage of a Cow

Luke 6:31 NIV
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."

On a hillside beside a rutted path cattle follow to water, nestled among sage brush and shrouded in the shade of Juniper trees, lay a rib cage. The bleached bones were highlighted by sunlight streaming through the trees. The serenity of the moment belied the tragedy which had befallen the cow. The scene was uniquely suggestive of the wild west.  It was June, and I was in cattle country.

Not every cow survives, I reminded myself as I studied the remains.

Predators and harsh weather can destroy the most determined spirit. No matter how many times the cow had struggled to its feet to continue its path, it met with disappointment until it could rise no longer.

How does it feel to give up?

I'm a fighter. With God's grace, I have battled some tight spots in my life.  I haven't given up, but I have seen others struggle to go forward on their own. 

I see people who lead lives Henry David Thoreau described as "quiet desperation."  If I don't reach out to others, and lend them a hand when I see their need, then what am I doing here?

What is my life worth?

Jesus commanded,  "Do to others as you would have them do to you."  As far as I'm concerned, I need to encourage others to keep walking on the path, to get up when they fall down, and show them where they can safely rest.  

I don't like to think about people who face troubles on their own. Their lives usually look as sad as the scene I passed one June afternoon.
--------------------------------
Lord, let me reach out to those in need.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reaching out to me. You said something that has stayed with me: "A burden is a burden." That helped me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and keep you. Miss you, Friend!

    --Lori

    ReplyDelete