Monday, June 25, 2012

The Tree

Palm Trees Line the Streets of Beverly Hills
June 2012

2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

My daughter, Allison, and I ran away from home for three weeks. We hid out at our friends' home in Los Angeles.

While exploring the area, we drove to Beverly Hills. It seemed each street we turned down was picture perfect. Neatly landscaped yards opened to impressive cottages of stone and mason work. Streets were lined with tall, straight palms.  We gasped as we drove down Rodeo Drive past the opulent shops opening for the day.  Again, palms dotted our path.

As we turned back to our hosts' home, we passed through West Hollywood where a small tree on the right side of the road was being planted and propped up with stakes.  In a few years, this tree will be as straight and tall and healthy as the ones we just saw in Beverly Hills, I mused.

Those stakes will allow the tree's roots to latch into the soil and grow deep and wide. In the weak condition it's currently in, it could fall over in a storm if not supported.

I understand the tree.

Still weak from the loss of Russell,  I am also in danger of falling over in a severe storm, but prayers from others prop me up until I can grow stronger roots. 

Until then, I have faith that in my weakness, Christ's power lifts me up.
-----------------------------------------------------
Lord, Thank you for the lesson of the tree. I hope to grow strong and healthy once more through your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment