Wednesday, May 23, 2012

With a Thankful Heart

Baby Lori Posing Beside the Coffee Table
Circa 1961

1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV
"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

I don't really recall the awkward, wavering baby steps I took as a toddler, but a faint mark above my brow line reminds me of where I stumbled into the corner of the coffee table and cut open the skin.

Baby steps. Tiny, shaky, trembling steps eventually leading to confident moves. Ballerina leaps, pole vault jumps, and Kentucky Derby speed-racing down the sidewalk.

I am a toddler again. 

Give thanks from a grateful heart, my soul implores.

Thanks? For the death of my son?

No. Never!

It has taken me four months and a painful emotional journey, but in the past two weeks I have taken a turn for better once I understood the message of my soul.

With a thankful heart, I bless God for GIVING me 27 years with my son.

I am grateful. I am thankful.

I'm learning to walk again. If you see me occassionally stumble, forgive me and help me pull myself up. I know I have some new scars, but I will figure this out with my Father's help.
------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for holding my hand as I learn to walk again.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice, Lori. You speak from the heart. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    I love your analogy. Even though the road will be a little bit rough and curvy at times, most of the time it will be smooth and straight. Just keep on your journey of learning to walk again, the road will straighten out with time. Russell will always live on in your heart and in your memories.

    Love ya,
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candy! I appreciate your words of encouragement. Love ya!

      Delete
  3. So eloquent. Thank you for sharing. Prayers going up for you.

    ReplyDelete