Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Three Words to Remember

Venice Beach, California
June 2012
Mark 4:39 KJV
"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm."

Venice Beach looked like a setting from a collection of picture postcards the day Allie and I saw it with our friends.

Sunlight glistened off sailboat masts, teens skateboarded, joggers shared narrow paths with bicyclists, and surfers strolled over hot sand carrying surf boards to the waves. Street performers entertained crowds, barkers called out to view eeiry displays hidden behind curtained walls, and the rich aromas of restaurants mingled with sea breezes dancing past us.

In contrast, Tropical Storm Debby is currently making her ominous presence felt in Florida and Georgia. Trees bend to her will, bands of rain create flood waters, and tornadoes have destroyed lives.

Yet it is precisely in an environment similar to this where Jesus displayed his power over the elements of nature. In the matter of three words, "Peace, be still" he caused the storm to cease.

Christ spoke with majesty and authority. He is powerful and on my side! He loves me. He will look out for me.  He can bring that same peace to my stormy soul. 

Three words for me to remember: "Peace, be still!" 

It seems so easy, but I will have to work on it every day.
--------------------------------------------------
Lord, help me look to you when I get upset. You can bring peace into my life if I allow you.

2 comments:

  1. Lori, I have to work at it every day too. But those words "Peace be still" and that image of the storm are SO powerful. They really do remind me to just "Stop!" and be still.
    Thanks for the post-Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to read the blog, Michele. Many people have told me they also have to work on this issue. You're right--the image of the storm and Christ's words are incredibly strong. Wonder what it was like to be in the boat with Him?

    ReplyDelete