Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why Was He Sent?

If I could only get my students to follow the leader like these cows!
Sprague River, Oregon
June 2011

Luke 4:43 NIV
“I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent.”

I am the bad guy.  I give spoonfuls of medicine without sugar in it.  I rain on parades. I rock the boat.  I step on cracks without caring about my mother's back. 

It's the season of state writing test preparation, and I am Cassandra of Troy proclaiming truth to my students who in turn mock me.  "What if I don't write the outline? You won't know!"

Twenty-plus years of success as a writing teacher does not win me merit points.  I am a prophet in my hometown; no one believes me.

"Listen," I implore, "if you just do it my way, you will easily meet state standards or exceed them.  The only students I have taught who have failed were too hard-headed to follow my instructions."

Some take this as a personal challenge. I can almost hear their thoughts: Let me be the one not to follow her, and I'll show her I can succeed without her!

I only teach people how to write for success.  Jesus taught people how to live for success! His message leads people to eternal salvation.  And He is so patient!  Today I counted 10, 11, 12 and then threw in the towel, but He doesn't walk away from me when I don't listen--isn't that amazing?

Jesus presented the model of how to live a holy life. Yet so often I do not want to submit to His will.

I would have to humble myself before Him and acknowledge His wisdom above my own.

Otherwise, I could be like my students: reluctant to understand the message, eager to try life my way, and hope for the best in the end.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lord, help me humble myself before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment