Monday, September 5, 2011

The X-Rays



God Keeps His Promises
Rainbow in June
Orlando, FL

John 14:1 NIV
 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."

"Place your foot on this mark on the floor and bend your right knee a little," instructed the x-ray tech. "Good. Now don't move."

As soon as she told me not to move, I felt wobbly and ready to plunge forward onto the floor. Why is it my body wants to do exactly what it is told NOT to do?

"Okay. Good. Now face forward and place your knee on this screen. Hold it."

After the x-rays, I hobbled back to the examining room to await the verdict. After ignoring the pain in my right knee for months, I finally saw the doctor. Fourteen years ago he had warned me the osteoarthritis in my knee would catch up with me. He told me a knee replacement was in my future.

I felt certain I would not like the results of the x-rays.

"You have 1/4 millimeter of cartilage in your joint left, Mrs. Durham. It won't be long before you are walking bone-on-bone," explained the doctor. "We can give you a shot of cortisone today to ease your pain, and then next week, we'll give you an injection of orthovisc once a week for four weeks. That should give you six to nine months before you need a knee replacement."

Lord, give me strength! I thought.

This week will be the second injection of orthovisc. I am adjusting to the pain in my knee and trying to keep a positive attitude toward the next six to nine months. My 2012 summer vacation plans have now changed due to the impending surgery and recovery, but at least I have an excuse to write. 

God hasn't often slowed me down in life, so I suppose He has His reasons for this. I wonder what opportunity He will present to me while I am at home next summer?

Whatever the future holds, I am ready for it. I know God is with me, and He has given me a good doctor to help me. I welcome the day when I am not hobbling around in pain.
-----------------------
Lord, be with me as I prepare for surgery next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment