Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Whose Eyes Do You Look Through?

I Can't See Well Through These Eyes


Romans 15:5 NIV
"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus."

I teach ordinary kids. People might label them "average".  These students range in abilities. Some complete an assignment of writing a draft of a five-paragraph essay in the span of thirty minutes. Others in the same room might need two days to flesh out the writing.

I have never aspired to teach the super-smart, Yale-bound student. Occassionally, I have encountered a student like that in my career, but for the most part, I am content to help ordinary kids learn how to be extraordinary communicators.

However, no matter how much potential I see in them, many kids hold on to a phrase and won't let go of it. What's that phrase? "I'm not smart enough (or good enough) to complete this task."

I have to encourage a child to believe in his or her instincts.  Someone has planted the negative message in their minds before I met them. Now I have to undo the damage. I see the potential in them that they can't see. If only they could see themselves from my eyes.

Case in point:  Yesterday I explained my expectations that the students would write 10-12 words on a line as they wrote.  One girl protested, "Ten words on a line? I'm not an advanced student! I can't do that."

I calmly replied, "You are 15 years old, and I know you can count to ten. It isn't a matter of you "can't" do it, but more a matter of you "won't" do it.

"Can't" and "won't" are two different concepts. One implies ability and the other implies a behavior.

When I talk to others about the calls I have heard from God and how I have tried to follow his voice, I have friends who freely tell me they "could never" or "would never" do such a thing. Even though I try to explain that I "can't" ignore God's call in my life, they still put roadblocks up for me rather than support me.

I wonder what it is about human nature that causes us to tear others down who are trying to do the right thing?  If my students had been encouraged as youngsters, they'd already know what they are capable of and realize ten words on a line is nothing. 

There are times I hear God's voice, and like Jonah, I am afraid of the implications, but I am committed to giving the Lord my best effort. After all, if He thinks I can do it, then who am I to tell Him I "can't".
-----------------------------------------------
Lord, Help me always to TRY to follow your call. Your faith in me overwhelms me.  I would love to be able to see me through your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment