Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Morning at the Car Dealership


A Refreshing Scene
Sprague River, Oregon
June 2011


Proverbs 11:25 NIV
"A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."


I looked up from my seat to see the elderly gentleman as he carefully stepped, stiff-legged, in his new blue jeans that were a size too large. He cradled a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup in his right hand, covering it with his left. He paused at the door where I hid and spoke.

"Good Morning! How are you today, young lady?" 

It was a pleasant enough greeting, but I am not a morning person. Inwardly, I groaned at the thought of having to listen to the man ramble on like he had just done with the dealership's service manager.

"Have you ever been to Amish Country?" he quizzed the younger man, who was recording the details of the older man's service needs onto the computer. 

"Yes. I'm from Indiana," replied the manager. "There are Amish there."

"Well, we traveled through Ohio and into Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. There's a restaurant there, buffet style. Has the best food you'll ever eat. Run by Amish. And they know how to cook! It was so good, we ate there three times in one week."

The manager continued the polite conversation, but I had heard enough. I could tell this guy was a talker, and at 7:30 in the morning, I only wanted a soft chair in a quiet corner so I could sleep away my boredom while my car was being serviced.  I found my chair, the only adult-sized one, in the children's room. I was certain I was safe.

When I heard the man's shoes shuffle on the floor, and his baggy jeans hitting his legs, I knew he'd spotted me.

I mustered my best morning smile and responded to his greeting. "I'm fine, thank you." Actually, I thought, I want to close my eyes and sleep for two more hours. 

He continued, "Do you know the first thing I do in the morning?" I pled ignorance, fearing he was about to tell me an old, tired joke. He did. "I look out the window at the grass. If I see the roots, then I know I'm dead. If not, I get up."  I managed to chuckle with him, and then, for lack of more conversation from me, he moved on to the next person in the room.

I couldn't help but overhear them as they talked, and then I felt guilty for not giving him more of my attention. He spoke about his former military days and how he had left there for the post office until his retirement twenty years ago.

Geesh, Lori, I chastised myself. You could have given more of yourself to this man. You could have worked harder at communicating with a lonely old guy at the car dealer for a few minutes out of your day.

Being open to people and willing to let them into my life isn't always easy for me, especially when I'm still not fully awake. However, I can't help but feel I lost an opportunity today, no matter how small, to brighten someone else's life.  I could have feigned more interest in his stories, and eventually, I may have even gotten to know him as a person and not as a stereotype.

And, in the process, my tiredness could have been refreshed through giving of myself to another.

I lost this chance, but next one, Lord, I'll be ready. 
--------------------
Lord, help me to give unconditionally to others.

4 comments:

  1. I love that Proverb - the promise of refreshment when we give to others. Thanks for sharing Lori. I can sure relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Shawnelle. Blessings!

    Lori :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an honest post. Thank you for sharing. I have found myself in the same predicament so many times. No matter how much I'm not in the mood to communicate with a talkative stranger, it always turns out that I feel better after I do. I am going to try and remember the Proverb you quoted.

    And I love the Sprague River photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, DogMom. I love the proverb, too. I don't really recall it. Maybe I needed a context to put it with to put it in my mind. I got the message now, though! :)

    ReplyDelete