Sunday, August 21, 2011

Annotating My Life

A Red Letter Day in June
Sprague River, Oregon


Matthew 5:16 NIV
"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

Annotating textbooks is impossible in schools that are budget-strapped and can't afford to buy new books. In the age of Kindles and Nooks, marking a book you own is becoming a disappearing art.

I've spent the first two weeks of school helping my English students get past the fear of annotating text material.  Since we can't write in the books, we have been using "sticky notes".  I give the students questions to answer as they read, and they answer those questions throughout the piece. For example, they write down and define words they don't know, mark main ideas, and ask at least three questions and make three comments they have about the piece. I also provide them copies of stories they can mark all over.

During our reading time, I have been annotating "Spoon River Anthology" by Edgar Lee Masters. I showed the kids how I  mark the book and write in the margins about key ideas I have encountered. I thought I would bore them with this discussion, but they paid attention and asked about the type of comments I made. 

I explained if they were to pick up my book and look at the annotations, they could discover information about me. They could find out what I was interested in and my thoughts about the poems in the book.  The annontated book has become a reflection of my life.

I thought this week about how God has annotated my life. His touch has helped define me and enrich my experiences. Through difficult passages, He spent much time writing encouraging words to me. He underlined the good moments in my life and helped me recognize their importance.

After His markings on my life, anyone who meets me should immediately recognize I belong to God.
---------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for claiming me as your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment