Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Rainbow After the Storm

Rainbow over I-95 N Glynn County, Georgia, October 28, 2010

I had a particularly frustrating end of the day today that left me in tears as I drove home. It didn't help that a head cold has weakened my emotions and biting my tongue at the offending parties left my Irish temper looking for somewhere to simmer.  I was boiling over on the inside and hot water spilled out through my eyes.


My 13 year old daughter tried to comfort me as I drove home.  We weren't halfway there before she pointed out to me the stress relief I needed most of all: a rainbow stretching across the Interstate.


We were driving north and saw the base of the rainbow in the west rising upward to the east. I realized we were heading into a strong thunderstorm, but this time, I could see the dark clouds ahead of me and was prepared for the onslaught. I wasn't going to be caught unawares this second time.


I thanked God for sending me a calming sign as well as a warning to prepare me for the next storm ahead of me.


Life is all about conflict and the unexpected negative interactions we often have thrown at us. If we can find the calm in the storm and the beauty in the moments, then we will find a way to survive. However, that is often the challenge we all face in our daily interactions.


I have to dig deep to let go of my ego and walk away from the perceived insult and continue to do what I think is best. With God's grace, and a lot of prayer, I hope to do this. However, it is a challenge for me.


Rainbows remind me all things are possible, and even an Irish temper can be cooled.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you, Lord, for your promise to lift our burdens and ease the concerns of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment